- Authentic ryokan experience
- Exceptional, delicious and exquisitely prepared food
- Mezzanine level rooms with their own private outdoor onsen
- Craft displays with unique Japanese ornaments
- Very warm and accommodating staff (although they are not always proficient in English)
- Massage room
- Children 12 and under are not allowed to stay
- Wi-fi internet access available in the lobby only
- Comfortable rooms but not all of them have great views
- No shuttle service to the ski lifts which is about an 8-minute walk
- Not for tall people – the ceilings are quite low
- Minimum 5 nights stay required.
Spend time inside this very traditional ryokan and you’ll soon be learning about its history and wishing its walls could talk! Miyamaso Takamiya Ryokan is located right in the heart of the village, perched on top of a hill and beside a shrine. It was first built in 1716 and has obviously undergone some changes over the years, but from the moment you set your sights on it, you know that this hotel will provide you with a very memorable, traditional ryokan experience.
For those not familiar with what Ryokan means, it is a type of traditional Japanese inn that originated in the Edo period (1600s to late 1800s). Do not be misled by the signs of aging, the creaky floors or the low ceilings, this is as genuine as you can get! It’s worth noting that Miyamaso is so authentic that tall people might have a hard time walking straight in this hotel.
Miyamaso Takamiya has 22 rooms including the standard but spacious combinations rooms with western beds on tatami mats. But Scout loves and highly recommends the mezzanine level rooms with western beds, a large living area and their own private outdoor hot tub (not natural hot springs). Because the maze of corridors and the extensions made over time, some of the rooms have better views than the others but all the rooms are beautifully furnished in traditional Japanese style.
Like most hotels in Zao Onsen Miyamaso has a variety of natural onsen to choose from, including outdoor onsens (Rotenburo) a foot bath, and a private onsen which you can rent for 2700 yen. The hotel also has a massage room.
Miyamaso has three Japanese restaurants, each one a little different (you can opt for a western or Japanese style breakfast). One of the key features of this hotel is its food. Every dish from its appetizers to its main courses is exquisitely prepared, beautifully presented and incredibly tasty!
There are so many things that you will love in Miyamaso Takamiya including the staff who are so sweet and helpful, even if they only speak little English. Anyone who yearns for a traditional ryokan style experience and mouth-watering Japanese cuisine will be at home in Miyamaso.
Miyamaso Takamiya Hotel is ideal for couples who are prepared to spend a little more for a very high quality authentic Japanese hotel in Zao Onsen, who don’t mind a little walk to the ski lifts, and are a big fan of exceptional, flavorful and authentic Japanese cuisine. Not recommended for tall people.
Miyamaso Takamiya Hotel is located right in the heart of Zao Onsen village, on top of a hill and beside a shrine. It is a short walk to other restaurants. It is about an 8-minute walk down or up the hill to the ski lifts. The hotel does not offer any shuttle service, nor is there a public shuttle service to the ski lifts so you will need to walk.
- <10 min walk to lifts
About Zao Onsen
Zao Onsen ski resort is a Scout favorite and a lesser-known gem. It has a charming, traditional village, a great selection of hotels, natural onsen hot springs and a vast ski resort featuring its famed snow monsters. If you’re looking to get away from all the Westerners, experience something rich in culture combined with some great skiing, then Zao Onsen makes a great choice.
Read more about Zao Onsen and other hotels in the area.
- Indoor and Outdoor onsen
- Convenience store selling snacks & drinks
- Drying room
- Arrival pick-up from station
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM. Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
- Miyamaso does not accept children 12 years and under as guests.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Miyamaso Takamiya. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however we cannot guarantee it.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all amounts quoted are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.