- Lovely outdoor onsen
- Spacious combination rooms
- Friendly and accommodating staff although they speak little English
- Welcome tea
- Comfortable lounge area
- Very traditional Japanese style experience
- Free wi-fi on the 1st floor only
- Restaurant has little rooms where you, your family or friends can enjoy a private meal
- It has a cute gift shop
- Room views are either facing the town or the mountains
- A bit of a walk to the ski lifts. No shuttle is offered.
Wakamatsuya is an authentic Japanese experience which may pose challenges to some travellers. Read our story about Staying in a Japanese hotel.
Wakamatsuya Hotel located right in the heart of the Zao Onsen village is a great choice if you want to enjoy a very traditional Japanese style experience. The moment you step into the hotel, you know you are in for a Japanese treat. You will be welcomed by staff who are very accommodating despite their lack of English. It is a hotel that has a few modern touches but has a luxurious ambiance.
Wakamatsuya has 27 spacious rooms, most of which are Japanese style rooms with tatami mats. The larger Japanese rooms can accommodate 5 to 6 people. You can also enjoy the combination rooms which have twin beds on a platform and tatami mats. The hotel has two Western style rooms where, unusually for a Japanese hotel, the beds are actually pushed together making it perfect for couples looking for a romantic escape. All the rooms have capsule showers with a few modern comforts. The rooms have either great views of the town or the mountains.
One of the best features of this hotel is its beautiful onsens. The water of the onsens comes from natural sulfuric springs that abounds the area. You can also enjoy your baths in one of its private onsens which you can avail for an additional cost. Another option for romantic couples!
The hotel’s restaurant serves delicious Japanese food in separate little dining rooms. They also have a special menu for kids. If you want to have a relaxing drink, dessert, coffee or tea, you can do so at its lounge area which is open from 7 am to 11 pm.
Those who want to enjoy an authentic Japanese style experience and who do not mind using hand gestures to communicate.
The hotel is right in the heart of the village. It is a bit of a walk to the ski lifts however the staff a are more than happy to bring you to the ski lifts. They can also pick you up and bring you to the bus station.
You can find hotel Wakamatsuya on this Zao Onsen Village Map.
- <10 min walk to lifts
About Zao Onsen
Zao Onsen ski resort is a Scout favorite and a lesser-known gem. It has a charming, traditional village, a great selection of hotels, natural onsen hot springs and a vast ski resort featuring its famed snow monsters. If you’re looking to get away from all the Westerners, experience something rich in culture combined with some great skiing, then Zao Onsen makes a great choice.
Read more about Zao Onsen and other hotels in the area.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Wakamatsuya. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.