- This boutique hotel strikes the perfect balance between Japanese and Western style.
- Service is friendly, and guests are treated to a lot of extra little bonuses.
- On site is one of Hakuba’s best fine dining restaurants, Mimi’s – featuring an international menu with a sake sommelier.
- The location is peaceful.
- The hotel’s location in Lower Wadano means that you can walk to all the restaurants in the Wadano area, as well as Happo Village (via a quiet road).
- There is no elevator.
- Some rooms do face the car park. This can be noisy with snow clearing equipment early in the mornings, after a big snow-storm.
The Phoenix Hotel in Hakuba is a great find. It has a modern, boutique feel and despite its Australian ownership, it has retained many of the charms of a Japanese hotel.
For instance, most of the rooms are furnished in the Japanese style with tatami mats, futons and rice paper partitions. But you should be aware that not all of the rooms have their own shower, storage can be minimal, and there are no couches to laze around on.
These drawbacks are minimal however considering the added luxuries that guests are treated to. These include iPod docks, LCD flat screen TVs (with a couple of English channels), and a DVD player (a large DVD library is available downstairs).
The Combination Room is particularly spacious for just a couple, or a couple with a young child. The extra living space really allows you to spread out more.
If you can’t handle the idea of sleeping on a futon, there are a couple of rooms with Western-style beds.
Since some of the rooms do not include a shower, guests must use the onsen to bathe. Once you get used to it, this is actually a wonderful excuse to have a soak in a natural hot spring every evening. Besides – Hakuba’s hot springs have some of the highest alkaline water around, which is said to have great heath benefits. In addition to the onsen there’s a steam room and massage facilities.
The Phoenix Hotel has one of Hakuba’s most highly regarded fine dining restaurants – Mimi’s. It has an innovative, international and modern menu with a wide selection of wines, and of course Sake.
The managers of the Phoenix are super knowledgeable about the area and can help with any bookings around town. They operate a shuttle for arrivals and departures, as well as a shopping shuttle each afternoon. Although it is possible to walk to the ski slopes, it is a bit far for most. Instead, the hotel runs a shuttle service to the slopes (Happo-one gondola and Goryu) in the mornings and evenings. If you want to head further afield, the public shuttles to most ski resorts stop very close by.
Couples wanting a more boutique and modern Japanese experience.
Phoenix Hotel is situated in the lower part of Lower Wadano. You can walk to all the restaurants and bars in Happo Village down a hill that can be icy (about 7 minutes’ walk). It’s also a bit dark at night so you may prefer a taxi home. The Wadano village restaurants and bars are all within easy walking distance. The hotel is about 350m from the Kokasi lift – about a 10 minute walk along a fairly busy road. But the hotel provides a shuttle service to Happo-one gondola and Goryu resort each morning and afternoon. The public ski shuttles run from the Tokyu Hotel (just up the road from the Phoenix).
- <10 min walk to lifts
- Hotel shuttle provided
The Hakuba Valley is one of Japan's most popular ski destinations for Westerners. Made up of 9 ski resorts, including the most well-known Happo One, Cortina, Iwatake, Goryu, and Hakuba 47, there are plenty of options for skiers and snowboarders of all ability levels. Whether you're a powderhound in search of some epic pow turns, or just looking for some mellow cuisey groomers, you're sure to fall in love with the Hakuba region. Happo (the main village) and the surrounding districts of Wadano and Echoland have everything you need for your ski holiday, including international snowsports schools, rentals, guiding options, convenience stores, and countless restaurants and bars. The area is particularly Westernised to cater for the international skier, however, you can still experience glimpses of Japanese culture via local restaurants, onsen, and day tours. Close to Tokyo, Nagano and other ski resorts in the region, Hakuba is a perfect option for first time families, couples, and those who enjoy the Western comforts of home.
Read more about Hakuba and other hotels in the area.
- Restaurant and Bar
- Steam Saunas and Private Showers
- Japanese Baths (Onsens)
- 2 x Private Shuttles
- Under Cover Parking
- In-House Physiotherapy and Massage
- Free Wireless Broadband Internet
- Free Guest IPad at Mimi's Bar
- Free Play Station 3 and Games Available
- Huge Free DVD Library, Board Games and Reading Library
- Guest Laundry
- Large Drying and Ski Storage Room
- English and Japanese Speakers
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Cots (cribs) and highchairs can be requested at time of booking and are subject to availability and an extra charge.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM.
- Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Phoenix Hotel. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however we cannot guarantee it.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all amounts quoted are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.