- Its location and good value.
- Kandahar goes above its three star rating in many ways, such as bathrooms with bath and double sinks, and L'Occitane products.
- The hotel is in the village, and close to the lifts. Walk right to the grocery, Val d'Isère's restaurants and cafes.
- The hotel is very family friendly, as are the hotel staff. They allow extra beds in the family room, should you need more beds for children.
Kandahar is a fantastic three star hotel, located centrally to the village of Val d'Isère, and not far from the ski slopes (about 200-250 m). If you're not on a huge budget, this is a great option because it's a wonderful hotel, friendly and with a relaxed atmosphere for relativley good value. The hotel has a lovely restaurant called, La Taverne d'Alsace, serving up local delicacies, and food from the Alsace region, accompanied by an eclectic wine list. We love the style of the whole hotel - it has modern Savouyard feel reminding you that you are, in fact, in the French Alps.
Hotel Kandahar has been around since 1960, when it was built and was totally renovated in 1994 with numerous updates since. It is a three star, but there are aspects that make it feel better than three star. Over the last few years the entire hotel has been renovated, including all the guest rooms.
The rooms are done in a contemporary French chalet style. Think lots of pale wood, fresh colours and furnishings in the bedrooms, all making it all very clean feeling, cozy and comfortable. The rooms range from a Double room right through to very large Junior and Master suites. All rooms have balconies. Small rooms are 20 to 22 m2, mid-sized rooms are 26 m2 to 30 m2, and the suites are 30 m2 to 40 m2.
One of the great assets of this hotel is the amount of family rooms (13) which have a children's corner with bunk beds, as well as a large room for parents, making it economical and easy for families. The hotel is an excellent recommendation for families, especially considering its location, a short walk from the slopes.
Who should stay here
We strongly recommend this hotel for families looking for good value in Val d'Isère, without sacrificing comfort, safety or convenience. The hotel will also do well for couples.
Right on the main street of Val d'Isère, Hotel Kandahar is close to the bus station, convenience store, lots of restaurants and everything else Val d'Isère has to offer. It is also a short 5 to 10 minute walk to the ski lifts.
- <5 min walk to lifts
About Val d'Isere
Val d’Isere is one of Scout’s favorite ski resorts, thanks to its winning combination of an extensive and excellent ski area, decent ski-lift systems, with a true European-style, charming village, a wide variety of accommodation and easy access. From party-goers and extreme skiers to families or romantic couples – Val d’Isere is perfect for everyone.
Read more about Val d'Isere and other hotels in the area.
- accessible path of travel
- babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- breakfast available (surcharge)
- free wi-fi
- front desk (limited hours)
- in-room accessibility
- multilingual staff
- number of floors - 4
- pets allowed
- room service (limited hours)
- safe-deposit box at front desk
- self parking (surcharge)
- ski storage
- ski-in/ski-out access
- smoke-free property
- steam room
- total number of rooms - 41
- wireless internet access - surcharge
You must present a photo ID when checking in. Your credit card is charged at the time you book. Bed type and smoking preferences are not guaranteed.Your reservation is prepaid and is guaranteed for late arrival. The total charge includes all room charges and taxes, as well as fees for access and booking. Any incidental charges such as parking, phone calls, and room service will be handled directly between you and the property.
Pets allowed Check-in time starts at 3 PM Check-out time is 11 AM
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy.
Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.
The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Self parking fee: EUR 13 per day
- Pet fee: EUR 25 per pet, per night
- Crib (infant bed) fee: EUR 15 per night
- Rollaway bed fee: EUR 40 per night
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Hotel Kandahar. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.
Subscribe to the Scout newsletter - a regular roundup of news from the slopes and magazine articles.