- The bold, unique, artsy design of this hotel, that makes it well and truly stand out.
- The spa is really a different experience to try, at least once.
- Backstage Hotel is also comfortable, with quite a few luxuries, especially in the larger Loft and Chalet.
- The hotel offers a shuttle pick up and drop off from the train station, with your luggage.
- If you’re not after something completely crazy, a more tame Deluxe double room with mountain views or the regular Double rooms would make more comfortable accommodations.
- Room temperatures can't be controlled from you room, but you can crack a window or door.
- The bathrooms have glass windows to the room.
- The lobby and lounge area isn't huge.
- The hotel has an active nightclub, if you want more quiet, get a room that's on a higher floor, away from the party-goers.
- Use of the spa requires reservations and is free for hotel guests. Massage treatments need advance booking.
The Backstage Hotel Vernissage in Zermatt is an eccentric hotel designed by artist Heinz Julen, a member of the infamous Julen family in Zermatt. He built a cinema 20 years ago, and just five years ago added to it with the Backstage Hotel in his unique and eccentric style. If you stay here, you'll want to be comfortable with a bit of craziness… in fact, quite a lot of craziness. Before you even enter the hotel, you get the feeling something is a little topsy-turvy - from the outside, the hotel resembles the form of a twist on a mountain chalet as it is fashioned in glass and steel.
The rooms vary from a Standard Double room (though they’re hardly standard) through to the quite bizarre, Cube Loft rooms. These Cube Loft rooms have high ceilings, and in the middle of which is a glass cube, from there you can remotely control the functions of the room, just like a command center. On the top level of the cube is the bed, and underneath is the bathroom and wardrobe. The stairs are in the middle of the room, and there’s a small living area. Furnishings tone down or dial up the craziness – depending on your taste – with the use of glass and metal, contrasting velvet and faux furs. All of the rooms have their own balconies, some also have views of the Matterhorn – a definite plus.The bathrooms are open to the rooms, and while there's a screen for the actual toilet, you will want to feel very relaxed or close with your roommate. The hotel rooms are solely recommended for couples.
Being in the Backstage Hotel feels as if you are living in some surrealist art work, and that is very much what Heinz was seeking. A great example of this is the wellness spa, which is unlike any other spa we have ever seen, is Heinz’s interpretation of the Creation Story from the Old Testament of Genesis. There are seven rooms, and each has a different experience, whether they be light or steam. There is a hot tub style experience, a sauna, video installations and a meditation room. There's a salt water floating pool, or you can even try lying down on the field of infrared heated glass pearls. You'd want to spend a bit of time here, this is not your typical, sort of 15 minute experience. And just like Heniz’s goal to make a spa experience that is actually an art installation, you almost feel like you are part of the performance. If a regular old massage is your thing, fear not - there is also a beauty treatment room where you can get different massages. The spa experience is complimentary for hotel guests.
There are plenty of other great things about Backstage Hotel. There is a ski rental shop on-site. It has its own cinema, an art gallery, and a restaurant called After Seven for fine dining and a cafe that serves cakes and coffee in the afternoon.
Zermatt’s Backstage Hotel Vernissage is for couples who love having a very unique experience. It is definitely for people who don't need tradition or normality to be comfortable, and will appreciate the hotel's eccentricity.
Backstage Hotel is just off the main street of Zermatt, close to all the restaurants and bars, and a decent walk to any of the lifts. You can walk to the Gornergrat Bahn, it would be about a five minute walk. But for the other chairlifts, you'll want to catch a taxi to reach. The Sunnegga train, and ski bus are also within walking distance.
- <5 min walk to lifts
Set against the iconic Matterhorn, Switzerland’s Zermatt is one of the best ski resorts in the world combined with a picture perfect, happening village. Zermatt is a favorite of Scout clients for so many reasons.
Read more about Zermatt and other hotels in the area.
- coffee shop or café
- free wi-fi
- full-service spa
- room service (limited hours)
- ski storage
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Backstage Hotel Vernissage. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.