- The hotel has a gigantean castle-like atmosphere.
- The place is oozing history – be sure to check out all the old photos above the lobby.
- Guests can enjoy enormous buffet breakfasts in the Vermillion Room – bring your ski appetite.
- Most of the rooms have been recently and stylishly refurbished.
- The Fairmont View Rooms have good views.
- If you like shopping, there are over a dozen stores in the hotel.
- Mt Stephen Hall has grand ceilings that are well worth checking out.
- You will probably get lost. Just be patient and ask for directions.
- The STOCK Market has an adequate range of well-priced dinner snacks if you want something light and quick. It also has great breakfasts and decent coffee.
- Downtown Banff is a 25 minute walk down the hill. The local bus service does stop at the hotel.
- The Fairmont is popular with tour groups and conferences, though less so in winter than in summer.
- Wifi is included in the Resort Fee, but you can also sign up for the Fairmont President’s club before or during your stay for premium access.
Most visitors to the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel already know it well even before they arrive. Any marketing for Banff, Alberta or even Canada features photographs of its imposing castle structure, nestled among the fir trees and surrounded by spectacular mountains.
The Fairmont Banff Springs is steeped in history. It opened in 1888 and was the inspiration of 19th Century railway pioneer Sir William Cornelius Van Horne who once stated “If we can’t export the scenery, we’ll import the tourists”. It was Van Horne who had the stroke of genius to place this hotel (and its sister hotels) along the railway lines to create properties that are destinations in their own right.
When you step inside the giant lobby you can just picture the scene of decades gone by when tourists came by train to be refreshed in Banff’s mountain air, rejuvenated by the thermal springs and entertained by musicians such as Glen Miller and Duke Ellington. Today there are still hordes of people – the hotel has no less than 770 rooms – and that’s not counting all the tourists who come just to have a look. But fortunately the friendly staff keep everything running efficiently no matter how hectic it gets, and there are plenty of quiet corners in the hotel where you can escape.
There are a variety of room types available at the Fairmont and, as expected, the more you pay, the better the room. Our Fairmont view room was modern but on the small side (200sq.ft.) – especially the bathroom – which was surprising given the price tag. But the view was astounding and well worth the extra. The bed was luxurious and had a contemporary yet refined style.
Like other Fairmonts, Banff Springs Fairmont has a hotel within a hotel. Fairmont Gold rooms have a separate check-in area with complimentary Wi-Fi, buffet breakfasts, coffee, tea and canapés. It’s worth noting that despite their higher price tag the ‘Fairmont Gold’ rooms on Scout do not have mountain or valley views, so if that is a priority you’re better off choosing a Fairmont View Room.
Scattered throughout the gigantic hotel are plenty of high-quality and casual restaurants – if you’re looking for a romantic and intimate atmosphere, Scout highly recommends the Rundle Bar. The 1888 Chop House offers locally sourced fare (and scrumptious desserts), and STOCK provides the necessary caffeine hit and fresh made sandwiches, bakery goods, artisanal meals, and grab & go fare.
The gym, spa and pool facilities are excellent – a spa treatment is well worth it as you can enjoy the peaceful mineral and plunge pools. Plus there’s a separate outdoor hot tub, steam room and sauna – all restricted to spa guests. Being a luxurious full service hotel, the Fairmont offers everything one would come to expect including full housekeeping, concierge services, childcare, and gift shops.
With all there is to do at Banff Fairmont Springs, you’ll almost forget you’re here for skiing. Fortunately, shuttle busses to all three nearby resorts stop right outside the hotel, so you’re never too far away.
But all-in-all you will never forget a visit to Fairmont Banff Springs.
Fairmont Banff Springs is perfect for those seeking a luxurious, historic ski getaway and who want tons of services and facilities. You also need to be comfortable with staying in a big, bustling hotel.
Fairmont Banff Springs is located about 20-25 minute walk from downtown Banff, so you will likely use a car, taxi or bus for getting down to town – especially in the winter months. It is about a 15-20 minute drive to Norquay resort, 25 minutes to Sunshine and 50 minutes to Lake Louise.
Find a great map of the Banff downtown area and location of the Fairmont Banff Springs here.
- Hotel shuttle provided
- On or close to public shuttle route
Banff is a happening ski town situated in what would have to be one of the most scenic mountain locations in the world. With three great ski areas all within easy driving distance, Banff is the perfect base from which to explore this part of the Rocky Mountains.
Read more about Banff and other hotels in the area.
- 24-hour front desk
- airport transportation
- arcade/game room
- area shuttle (surcharge)
- babysitting or childcare
- breakfast available (surcharge)
- children's pool
- coffee shop or café
- complimentary newspapers in lobby
- concierge services
- dry cleaning/laundry service
- express check-in
- full-service spa
- gift shops or newsstand
- hair salon
- health club
- indoor pool
- luggage storage
- multilingual staff
- outdoor pool
- pets allowed
- picnic area
- room service (limited hours)
- safe-deposit box at front desk
- shopping on site
- ski storage
- spa treatment room(s)
- spa tub
- steam room
- tennis on site
- turkish bath/hammam
- valet parking (surcharge)
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at The Fairmont Banff Springs. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.