Steamboat Springs is going BIG for the 23/24 season!
May 11, 2023
Steamboat Springs will certainly be heading into the 23/24 winter season with some HUGE changes...
In the coming months, Steamboat's ambitious project, Full Steam Ahead, is set to conclude, offering visitors one of the best skier experiences in the USA. Not only will Steamboat become the second largest ski resort in Colorado, the final stage of the Wild Blue Gondola (set to open next winter) will earn Steamboat the title of having the longest (and fastest) gondola in North America!
Over course of the three year project, Alterra Mountain Company has invested over $220 million in resort improvements, all of which are sure to cement Steamboat's position on the map as one of Colorado's premier ski destinations. These include:
- The completion of the highly anticipated Wild Blue Gondola, which is set to double the uphill capacity (to over 10,000 skiers per hour), and providing ski access to the top of Sunshine Peak (at over 10,397 feet) from the mountain base within 12 minutes!
- The opening of the new Greenhorn Ranch; a dedicated beginners area at the top of the gondola (mid-station) which features advanced terrain-based learning, four magic carpets, and a new Greenhorn Ranch Express (a detachable quad lift) that is ideally suited to first timers.
- Huge terrain expansion (a whopping 655 acres of expert terrain in fact) in the popular Mahogany Ridge and Fish Creek Canyon, set to be serviced by the new Mahogany Ridge Express high-speed quad lift. Previously, only accessible via backcountry gates and hike-to-access, the expansion area will offer a variety of advanced terrain including rock cliffs, chutes and gladed trees. And fear not, the Steamboat Ski Patrol will monitor and maintain the area including potential avalanche mitigation.
- With such a big terrain expansion, more members of ski patrol area needed. Introducing, Daisy and Mudd; two inaugural dogs of the new avalanche dog program are completing their training and set to hit the slopes by winter 24/25.
- Reimagining Steamboat Square to enhance the overall resort experience, which has included adding an escalator (no more tackling stairs in ski boots!), moving the Steamboat Gondola to an on-snow location, and opening up additional space for the Mountain Stage (and more of Steamboat's legendary free music concerts), a new free outdoor iceskating rink, and the new Range Food and Drink Hall.
- Overhauling snowmaking systems across the resort and expanding operations to cover Sunshine Peak. These enhancements focus on increased energy efficiency, reduced water usage, and help ensure Steamboat's snow conditions remain consistent throughout the winter season (we love that champagne snow!) and provide earlier seasons coverage during peak holiday times.
Such an ambitious (and impressive) undertaking as this certainly shows Steamboat's dedication to making the skier experience the best it can possibly be. We just can't wait to head back to experience the new and improved 'Ski Town USA'!