- The way that Kirkwood is specifically aimed at adventurers and those seeking something different from the mainstream.
- The variety of accommodation options that are available – from hotel rooms to condos.
- Some of the rooms provide fantastic views of the ski slopes.
- Flexible bedding option to suit most families.
- Good on-site amenities including guest laundry, hot tubs, and 24 hour reception
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort has a small base village area with basic facilities and a couple of dining options. Although there is a small general store that sells the basics (such as bread, eggs and beer), it would be best to shop for supplies before you arrive.
- Kirkwood is approximately 50 minutes drive from South Lake Tahoe. (The trip takes longer in bad weather).
- All of the condos are individually owned and individually furnished.
- The condos are spread among several different buildings throughout the base area. A shuttle bus runs in the morning and afternoon to take skiers the short distance to and from the base area.
- There is no daily room service, however it can be organized for a fee.
So you’ve skied Aspen, survived Jackson Hole, partied at Heavenly and been pampered at Deer Valley – now it’s time to discover a new mountain that offers something unique, challenging and perhaps a little less damaging on the wallet. If this describes you, then look no further than Kirkwood, California’s ski resort in the middle of nowhere (well, 50 minutes from South Lake Tahoe).
There’s no airport nearby, no town, and it’s even 20 miles from the electricity grid (the resort generates its own power). Locals affectionately call the place ‘Kirkweird’. But Scout thinks that with an annual snowfall of 600 inches, no lift lines and terrain that’s on par with the most challenging resorts, it’s actually pretty awesome. And ever since Vail Resorts purchased Kirkwood, skiing is included if you have a full blown Epic Pass.
Some visitors come during the day to ski, and then head back to their accommodation in Lake Tahoe. But there are some great accommodation options in Kirkwood located right near the base of the mountain that will make most die-hard skiers more than happy.
Just to be clear, this isn’t the Four Seasons style of luxury. Like the mountain and the facilities, the rooms and condos are authentic and sometimes a little rustic. The condos are situated in buildings that are scattered around the base area.
The categories consist of ‘Slopeside’ hotel rooms, studios and two bedroom condos which are located in the Mountain Club building, right at the village base area. The second category is ‘Meadowside’ containing hotel rooms, studios and one and two bedroom condos that are in a variety of buildings a little walk or shuttle ride from the village and finally there are also several ‘luxury’ two bedroom condo options that are larger and newer. The newest property is the Snowcrest which has nice condos.
Facilities are basic, although some buildings do have their own hot tubs. (However all guests can access the KCA Recreation Centre which has a gym and two outdoor hot tubs).
Kirkwood Mountain Resort is suited to down-to-earth adventure seekers who don’t mind being stuck out in the middle of nowhere.
Kirkwood is 50 minutes drive from South Lake Tahoe. The closest airports are Reno (1.5 hours) or Sacramento (2 hrs 20 mins). All the condo buildings are located very close to the base area (a shuttle service can provide lifts) and there are hotel rooms in the Mountain Club, which is in the heart of the village area.
- <5 min walk to lifts
At Kirkwood Mountain Resort it’s all about the skiing. Some seriously great terrain, awesome backcountry, endless powder and an authentic spirit combine to create a ski resort with a difference. Unlike other resorts in Tahoe, Kirkwood feels a little small and underdeveloped, however, it's deep in tradition and slowly undergoing major changes to become a great destination resort. It might not have the great views of Lake Tahoe, but it does have incredible powder, one of the highest snowfall averages in the US, so how can we complain!
Read more about Kirkwood and other hotels in the area.
- fitness facilities
- free parking
- full-service health spa
- gift shops or newsstand
- grocery/convenience store
- luggage storage
- ski shuttle (complimentary)
- ski storage
- snack bar/deli
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Kirkwood Resort Lodging. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.