- Here you’ll get a genuine Japanese experience, in a central location.
- The service is friendly and warm.
- The onsen features an outside view.
- The hotel has been family owned and operated for generations
- Some of the rooms have wonderful views of the mountains.
- Breakfast consists of mainly Japanese dishes with a few western options
- The rooms are decorated in a traditional style with tatami mats and futons as the only bedding option
- The hotel was the first in Japan to win the top ski hotel in the World Luxury Hotel Awards
- Shirouma-so is named after the original name for Hakuba. It means White (shiro) and horse (uma)
- If you would like to have dinner in the hotel one evening (highly recommended) it is cheaper to add it to your booking prior to your arrival.
Hakuba Ski Resort is a fantastic place to ski, and it caters well to Western guests. However one of the drawbacks is that it lacks the feeling of being a truly authentic Japanese experience.
Thank goodness, then, for Hakuba Onsen Ryokan Shirouma-so. This charming ryokan has been passed down through family owners for generations, and it provides a much-needed taste of traditional Japanese culture in the heart of Hakuba.
This wonderful ryokan was once a traditional family house that officially opened as a Ryokan in 1942. Toshi and his sister Sasuki are the current generation looking after the hotel, and their friendly and warm hospitality makes guests feel right at home. They speak fluent English and nothing is ever a problem.
Guests at Shirouma-so also have the opportunity to experience the home cooking of Toshi’s mother, Okami-san, for dinner and breakfast. It is excellent value, particularly if added to the booking prior to arrival.
There are two main types of rooms – Standard and Deluxe – that are situated in either the front building or annex. Scout loves the second and third floor annex rooms as they have wonderful views of the mountains – which in Hakuba is hard to come by. Standard rooms are smaller than Deluxe rooms, which have a slightly larger living space. There is only one choice of mattresses: futon. Some Westerners may find these futon to be a little thin, in which case the hotel is happy to layer a few together to make them more comfortable. All rooms have en-suites toilets and sinks, but only a few have showers. However there are showers in the onsen, as well as private shower rooms in the annex.
The natural hot spring onsen at Shirouma-so is lovely (albeit a bit small), with stone walls and windows looking onto rocky gardens. Hakuba onsen are renowned for their high alkaline content which is great for your skin. Should couples wish to use the onsen together, they can rent one for private use between 11am and 3pm.
Couples and families who seek authentic Japanese hospitality in the heart of Hakuba.
Shirouma-so was unbelievable. It was one of the most memorable places I've ever stayed. Stephanie, Scout Customer Jan 2016
Shirouma-so is located in the heart of Hakuba’s Happo village. It is on one of the oldest streets in Hakuba and is about a 10-minute walk to the gondola. It is next to the information center and close to plenty of restaurants, bars and shops.
- <10 min walk to lifts
The Hakuba Valley is one of Japan's most popular ski destinations for Westerners. Made up of 10 ski resorts, including the most well-known Happo One, Cortina, Iwatake, Goryu, and Hakuba 47, there are plenty of options for skiers and snowboarders of all ability levels. Whether you're a powderhound in search of some epic pow turns, or just looking for some mellow cuisey groomers, you're sure to fall in love with the Hakuba region. Happo (the main village) and the surrounding districts of Wadano and Echoland have everything you need for your ski holiday, including international snowsports schools, rentals, guiding options, convenience stores, and countless restaurants and bars. The area is particularly Westernised to cater for the international skier, however, you can still experience glimpses of Japanese culture via local restaurants, onsens, and day tours. Close to Tokyo, Nagano and other ski resorts in the region, Hakuba is a perfect option for first time families, couples, and those who enjoy the Western comforts of home.
Read more about Hakuba and other hotels in the area.
- breakfast available (surcharge)
- designated smoking areas
- free wi-fi
- laundry facilities
- multilingual staff
- safe-deposit box at front desk
- ski shuttle
- ski storage
- spa tub
- television in lobby
- tours/ticket assistance
- train station pickup (complimentary)
Arrival Details: The hotel does not offer a pick up or drop off from the local bus station. The hotel is approximately a 1 minute walk from the bus stop.
- Property T&Cs:
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Cots (cribs) and highchairs can be requested at time of booking and are subject to availability and an extra charge.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM. Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
- Children aged 3-5 years are 50% of the adult charge. Please contact Scout for an updated quote based on the ages of those travelling.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Hakuba Onsen Ryokan Shirouma-so. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.