- The friendly ski lodge atmosphere, with a welcoming communal lounge & bar area.
- Good coffee – the illy coffee sign outside is enough to make even the most discerning coffee drinker salivate.
- Great food at the restaurant.
- Staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
- Book early! This hotel is popular and gets booked out quickly.
- Double Black is located in a nice, quiet area in Lower Wadano, but still within walking distance of the Happo-one and Lower Wadano village areas.
- There are scheduled ski shuttles in the morning and afternoon and the staff will make other runs (to restaurants and etc) on request.
Double Black is a boutique-style hotel in Hakuba that has got it right on so many levels.
With only 24 rooms the size is perfect – small enough so that the service feels personal and you can get to know the other guests, yet large enough so it doesn’t feel like a bed and breakfast (not that we have anything against them). Scout loves the ski-lodge feel (helped by its log cabin exterior) and we also really enjoyed spending time in the communal lounge and bar area. Adding to the appeal is the daily Happy Hour (5-6pm) which keeps the place busy and happening. This is where skiers congregate, get to know each other and swap stories from the day.
And while Double Black caters perfectly to Western tastes, we love that it doesn’t try to pretend it’s not in Japan. Guests are required to take off their shoes off at the entrance and slip into some comfy slippers provided by the hotel. Although the rooms have Western mattresses, they are still decorated in a Japanese style with tatami mats and rice paper partitions.
Each room has its own en-suite, complete with a shower. The Diamond Suites have a little more space with an extra little living area. Double Black also has a separate men’s and women’s onsen which can be hired out for private use by families or couples.
The standard rooms are on the small size, but between skiing, the lounge and the onsen you’re unlikely to spend much time in your bedroom, apart from when you’re sleeping of course.
Double Black is perfect for older-than-young but younger-than-old (we refuse to call it middle-aged) groups of friends, couples or singles. It isn’t rowdy, instead it has a buzzing, casual, social atmosphere. Double Black is also a good hotel for families.
Double Black is a great hotel, you feel like you are in a winter wonderland when you open the curtains and look outside in the morning. The staff are super friendly and helpful and always willing to assist when asked. Great coffee first thing in the morning and a good selection of food and beer in the evening. - Scott, Scout customer, Jan 2018
Black Diamond is situated in the lower part of Lower Wadano. You can walk to all the restaurants and bars in Happo Village down a hill that can be icy (about 7 minutes’ walk). It’s also a bit dark at night so you may prefer a taxi home. The Wadano village restaurants and bars are all within easy walking distance. The hotel is about about a 10 minute walk along a fairly busy road to the Kokusai ski lift. But the hotel provides a shuttle service to the Happo-one gondola and Goryu resort each morning and afternoon. The public ski shuttles run from the Tokyu Hotel up the road.
You can find a map of Hakuba here.
- Hotel shuttle provided
- On or close to public shuttle route
The Hakuba Valley is one of Japan's most popular ski destinations for Westerners. Made up of 10 ski resorts, including the most well-known Happo One, Cortina, Iwatake, Goryu, and Hakuba 47, there are plenty of options for skiers and snowboarders of all ability levels. Whether you're a powderhound in search of some epic pow turns, or just looking for some mellow cuisey groomers, you're sure to fall in love with the Hakuba region. Happo (the main village) and the surrounding districts of Wadano and Echoland have everything you need for your ski holiday, including international snowsports schools, rentals, guiding options, convenience stores, and countless restaurants and bars. The area is particularly Westernised to cater for the international skier, however, you can still experience glimpses of Japanese culture via local restaurants, onsens, and day tours. Close to Tokyo, Nagano and other ski resorts in the region, Hakuba is a perfect option for first time families, couples, and those who enjoy the Western comforts of home.
Read more about Hakuba and other hotels in the area.
- 24-hour staff
- complimentary breakfast
- ski storage
- Complimentary shuttle bus pick up and drop off service
- Ski/ board hire pick up and drop off service
- International TV
- In-house onsens
- Full licensed bar & restaurant
- Espresso coffee machine
- Entertainment and games room, including Playstation and Wii
- Free wireless internet access
- Internet access via three dedicated guest computers
- Washing and drying facilities
Arrival Details: Double Black offers a complimentary pick-up from Hirafu Welcome Center or Kutchan Train station, however it must be arranged ahead of time. If you have not booked your transfers via Scout, please inform us at least 1 week prior regarding your arrival details as we must inform Double Black.
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Cots (cribs) and highchairs can be requested at time of booking and are subject to availability and an extra charge.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM.
- Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Double Black Hotel. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.