- Authentic, old world charm
- The beautiful indoor and outdoor onsen
- A small ryokan with only 12 rooms
- Only a three-minute walk to the moving walkway which will take you to Hikage ski run
- Limited English is spoken. Naraya Ryokan is a very authentic Japanese experience which may pose challenges to some travellers. Read our story about Staying in a Japanese hotel.
- Try the Kaiseki dinner one night in the hotel. Bookings are essential.
- Smoking is allowed in the rooms. For non-smokers they clean the rooms with de-odorisers prior to your stay but this still may bother some people.
Naraya Ryokan is one of the better-kept secrets of Nozawa Onsen. Built in 1912 it is an old but well maintained Ryokan, perfect for those wanting to try something truly authentic. With its creaking polished floorboards, large wooden beams, and antique furniture it feels like something out of ancient Kyoto.
Attention to detail is evidenced in the meticulous displays of Japanese decorative items and the perfectly maintained rooms. All rooms are generously proportioned Japanese style tatami with toilets and some with a shower. Rooms have either a view of the mountain or a view of the town.
One of the real highlights of Naraya Ryokan is its beautiful and spacious indoor and outdoor onsen. A soak in them is a must after a long day skiing!
Naraya Ryokan offers breakfast and dinner, served in various traditional style dining rooms. A highlight is the traditional Kaiseki dinner - a traditional banquet featuring local delicacies. Bookings for dinner are essential.
Naraya is well located, just a short walk up the hill to the travelator to the Hikage base area and with most of Nozawa Onsen’s restaurants nearby and local streets to explore.
Due to the limited English spoken by staff, guests may experience some language challenges. However if you are up for it, Naraya Ryokan will not disappoint.
Naraya Ryokan is for the adventurous traveller seeking a traditional Japanese experience.
We had a fabulous time in Nozawa Onsen! Naraya Ryokan was lovely, and their breakfasts, both vegan for us, and regular for our son, were beautifully and artfully displayed and delicious. The quiet onsen on the top floor was perfect after a great day of skiing. The location was super for meals, the town, and access to the wonderful mountain; the slopes were great. Lara, Scout Customer, 2018
Naraya Ryokan is located in the old part of Nozawa Onsen village. It is about a 3-minute walk to Yu-Road, the moving escallator that takes you to the Hikage base area. If you are arriving by bus, they do not offer a pick-up service from the bus station and it is about a 5-7 minute walk from the final stop.
- <5 min walk to lifts
About Nozawa Onsen
Nozawa Onsen is perfect for skiers because it features a fantastic ski mountain, a traditional and thriving village and an abundance of hot springs. Cute and authentic, Nozawa Onsen provides the classic Japanese ski experience.
Read more about Nozawa Onsen and other hotels in the area.
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law. Property is non-smoking.
- Onsen Tax of JYP150 per person/night will be added as a separate item to your invoice.
- Check-in: 3:00PM
- Check-out: 10:00PM
- Check-in Details: All guests will be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Naraya Sakaya is a typical Japanese hotel with onsen facilities. JYP150 per person/night will be added as a separate item to your invoice for compulsory onsen tax. Please read our guides on staying in a Japanese Hotel and to Onsen Etiquette.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Naraya Ryokan. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.