- Great value traditional Ryokan experience
- Beautiful rooms, some with western mattresses
- The unsual outdoor onsen in large rocks
- It is located in a quiet area of the village
- Some great connecting rooms for families though younger families may struggle with the walk to and from the ski area as there is no hotel shuttle
- It is worth booking in for dinner for at least a few nights.
- All rooms are non-smoking
Meitoya So is a very authentic Japanese experience which may pose challenges to some travellers. Read our story about Staying in a Japanese hotel.
There are many traditional Ryokans to choose from in Zao Onsen however Meitoya So strikes the perfect balance of so many things; it’s very traditional, has stunning onsens, beautiful (and comfortable) rooms and it’s great value.
Meitoya So is in the heart of the village, surrounded by onsens and the small selection of restaurants and just a short walk to Zao’s only bar. To get to the slopes it’s just a five-minute walk slightly uphill or down to one of two base areas. That means that depending on whether you’re starting or ending the day you can always walk downhill!
Meitoya So has 34 rooms, most of which are Japanese style, though there are a few Japanese rooms with western mattresses. There are also a couple of rooms that have 2-3 interconnecting rooms and western twin beds so they are perfect for families. All rooms have a full bathroom.
Among the many great assets of Meitoya are the onsen. Sourced from Zao Onsen’s famous hot springs, the water is full of natural sulfur minerals that will do wonders for your skin and overall health. Meitoya has large indoor onsen with big windows to the outside, as well as a series of outdoor baths in large hollowed out rocks, which is quite unique.
Meitoya So has a restaurant serving up incredible dishes in the evenings – it’s well worth booking with dinner for at least a few nights. They also serve a breakfast buffet with Japanese and a few western dishes.
Meitoya So is great for families, couples or groups of friends that are looking for a great value superior traditional onsen in the heart of Zao Onsen village.
4 nights here was a perfect recommendation. Enough to experience the 'traditional inn' and be treated to the all-inclusive luxury that's all part of the stay. Location was great walking distance to the resorts lifts and the Inn's onsens were fabulous!...and probably our favorite of the trip out of all the other public ones we got to experience. - Meghan, Scout customer 2018
Meitoya So is located in the heart of Zao Onsen village. It is about a 10 minute walk from the bus terminal (up hill). To get to Zao Onsen Ski Resort you can walk approximately five-minutes downhill to the Zao Chuo Ropeway or five-minutes slight uphill to the Zao Sky Cable.
On this Zao Onsen Village Map Meitoya So is located just above Wakamatsuya.
- <5 min walk to lifts
About Zao Onsen
Zao Onsen ski resort is a Scout favorite and a lesser-known gem. It has a charming, traditional village, a great selection of hotels, natural onsen hot springs and a vast ski resort featuring its famed snow monsters. If you’re looking to get away from all the Westerners, experience something rich in culture combined with some great skiing, then Zao Onsen makes a great choice.
Read more about Zao Onsen and other hotels in the area.
- Lounge area
- Souvineer store
- Japanese and western breakfast
- Karaoke Room (extra charge)
- Indoor and outdoor onsen
- Free wifi
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Cots (cribs) and highchairs can be requested at time of booking and are subject to availability and an extra charge.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM. Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
- Children aged 0-2 are FOC (no bed no meal). Please contact Scout for an updated quote based on the ages of those travelling.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Meitoya So Ryokan. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.