- This old-style Japanese ryokan fits perfectly with the charm of historic Nozawa Onsen.
- Every guest receives personal attention from the owner, Ko.
- There is a magical garden area with snow-covered rocks surrounding a fishpond.
- Dinner here is worth experiencing. It features a Japanese style of cooking called Kaiseki.
- The owner's five cats have free reign of the lobby area and are very friendly.
- English TV is not available.
- There is a free washer and dryer as well as a drying room for ski clothes.
- Wi-Fi is free in the lounge area and it’s available in the rooms for a charge.
- Respect and follow the instructions for when your dinner will be available. Drinks are usually ordered ahead of time.
- The Ryokan has a curfew of 11pm.
- Like many Japanese hotels, parts of the building are showing signs of wear and tear.
Kiriya Ryokan is a very authentic Japanese experience which may pose challenges to some travellers. Read our story about Staying in a Japanese hotel.
We don't reccomend staying here if you are allergic to cats!
Stepping in to Kiriya Ryokan is like stepping back in time. Steeped in tradition, it’s like a ryokan straight out of Kyoto – except luckily for us skiers it’s located right in the heart of Nozawa Onsen village.
Expertly run by Ko (who speaks fluent English) and her husband, the business has been in the family for 130 years. The oldest part of the current building structure is 70 years old.
Ko and her family offer a highly personalized service that makes it feel like you’re a guest in their home, rather than a hotel guest. You can even have a snuggle with one of their five cats that loll about in the lobby or the "cat lounge" The website has a full profile of each cat (they are all rescue cats) and they have "healing" benefits.
Breakfast is included in the rate and it includes a choice of Japanese or Western dishes. You also have the option of having dinner at the ryokan – consisting of an exceptionally delicious Japanese banquet (Western-style options may be available in the future).
There are just 15 rooms at Kiriya Ryokan, each furnished in the traditional Japanese style with tatami mats and futon beds (although these is one Western option). The traditional and some standard rooms do not have showers – guests use the onsen to bathe. Additionally, the hotel is within easy reach of some of Nozawa’s great public onsen.
We especially love the corner rooms that have gorgeous views of gardens covered in fluffy snow – it’s incredibly peaceful.
One thing about Kiriya Ryokan is that will be hard to leave and go back to normal hotels. You will definitely miss Ko’s hospitality, the fine food, the comfy futons and, of course, the cats.
Kiriya Ryokan in Nozawa Onsen is perfect for those who wish to have a very traditional Japanese ryokan experience. The garden view rooms are particularly romantic.
Kiriya Ryokan is a five minute walk from the main street of Nozawa Onsen, through meandering little side streets. It is a three minute walk up the hill to the travelator that leads to the Hikage base area.
- <5 min walk to lifts
About Nozawa Onsen
Nozawa Onsen is perfect for skiers because it features a fantastic ski mountain, a traditional and thriving village and an abundance of hot springs. Cute and authentic, Nozawa Onsen provides the classic Japanese ski experience.
Read more about Nozawa Onsen and other hotels in the area.
- Breakfast included in all rooms
- Dinner available at the hotel restaurant
- Free laundry facilities
- parking (limited spaces)
- Table Tennis
- Ski storage and drying room
- Traditional Natural Onsen
- total number of rooms - 15
Kiriya Ryokan does not offer a pick up service from the local bus station. The hotel is approximately a 6 minute walk from the bus stop.Kiriya Ryokan is a typical Japanese hotel with onsen facilities. Please read our guides on staying in a Japanese Hotel and to Onsen Etiquette.
- All guests may be required to give their full name, age, passport number, postal address, nationality and occupation on or prior to check-in, in compliance with Japanese Law.
- Property is non-smoking.
- Cots (cribs) and highchairs can be requested at time of booking and are subject to availability and an extra charge.
- Guests accept responsibility for damage to the property, fittings, furniture, keys and other chattels caused during their occupation, including any consequential losses incurred.
- Credit card details and authorization may be required to be provided upon prior check-in as a security deposit.
- Check-out is 10AM. Late check-outs may be possible on a request basis and a charge applies.
- Parking during winter months is severely restricted and must be requested and confirmed for each booking if required.
- Children aged 0 - 12 are at a reduced rate. Please contact Scout for an updated quote based on the ages of those travelling.
Deals & Packages
Thank you for your inquiry. A copy has been emailed to you. We will scout out availability and rates for your selected properties and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
There are currently no pre-set packages at Kiriya Ryokan. To create your own package use the Room Selection booking process and one of our agents will get back to you to confirm availability and add your extrasSelect Room
Check Package Availability & Rates
You will need to contact us to check availability and rates for this package (this does not confirm the reservation). Please take a moment to complete and submit the request form below. We will then contact you directly to confirm the details and if you wish to proceed we will arrange your reservation.
Please tell us if you'd like to tweak the package to change the dates, number of nights or number of people. And if you'd like us to add in any extras just let us know, anything to make your snow holiday simpler and more enjoyable. < Back to Packages
Scout Booking Terms & Conditions
- Availability: Booking of all packages & accommodation is subject to availability at time of confirmation of package option by customer.
- Rate includes: All associated taxes. Some hotels charge extra fees for parking, cots, rollaways etc. Such fees can be confirmed on request based on your requirements.
- Payment Schedule:
- Deposit: 25% of the full amount is due WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONFIRMATION to secure the booking.
- Final Balance: Invoice will be issued for the remaining balance 80 days prior to departure. PAYMENT IS DUE 70 DAYS PRIOR to departure. Failure to pay by 70 days may result in the auto-cancellation of accommodation by the accommodation provider or late payment fees.
- Bookings within 70 days: Full payment is required within 7 days to secure the booking.
- Variations: In some circumstances suppliers may have different payment policies to the above. Additionally some Early Bird deals require full payment by or soon after the book-by date. In these instances Scout will clearly communicate any variances prior to confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
- All deposits are non-refundable once received.
- For balance payments made within 70-45 days prior to the trip the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- No refund for total amount for cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival and no-shows. In unexpected, unfortunate circumstances (family death etc) Scout will work to negotiate with the supplier for a full or partial refund, however this is not guaranteed. We recommend taking travel insurance to make sure you are covered. Cancelling due to weather, missed travel connections or lack of snow is not considered an unexpected circumstance and is one of the risks you must wear as part of taking a ski trip. Unless the supplier has a snow guarantee or weather cancellation policy, Scout will not refund any part of the package due to these factors.
- Variations: Please note that some hotels may have stricter policies (such as no refund within 60 days) and we are required to pass on these policies. We will communicate any varations to the above cancellation policy prior to confirmation of booking.
- Changes Policy:
- Once bookings are confirmed and deposit is paid service fees will apply for every amendment to existing elements, late final payment and travel document re-issue in addition to fees charged by suppliers
- In a few instances we purchase products through third party providers. If you change part of your package whilst at a destination, the 3rd party provider may have a different refund policy to that of the supplier in the destination. Wherever possible we will work to recover any refunds that come from a change at the destination, however it is not guaranteed.
- Surcharges: Scout does not charge any additional fees for the booking. Prices quoted are for cash (bank transfer) payments only. Credit card payments (Amex, Visa or Mastercard only) will be subject to 1.8% surcharge.
- Booking Currency: Scout will quote and charge in one currency of your choice from AUD, USD, CAD, JPY, EUR or GBP only.
- Currency Exchange Policy: If you book an international destination all remaining balances are subject to change (based on currency fluctuations) until the final payment has been processed. This can go either way (if your currency gets stronger you will be invoiced less!). We will confirm at the time of invoice what the final amount is, based on the exchange rate at that time. Should you wish to pay the balance earlier (prior to when it’s actually due) to secure that current exchange rate you are welcome to request the final invoice at any time. Once payments have been made (deposit or final balance), no refunds will be given for changes in the amount of what that payment would be, based on currency changes at any time prior to your trip.
- Travel Insurance: Once your booking is confirmed, we strongly recommend taking out travel insurance as it will often cover the cost of cancelled reservations.
For any questions regarding booking terms & conditions please email: email@example.com
Available: This selection is currently available for this price. Once you submit an inquiry our agents will confirm your booking via email and send you an invoice for a deposit. You will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking.
On Request: Our agents need to confirm availability of this room. Once you submit a request we will endeavour to get back to you by the next business day to confirm availability (some properties may take longer). If prices are listed they are the exact prices for your dates, room selection and room occupancy. Where prices are not listed we will confirm the price when we confirm availability. In either instance, you are not committed to your selection until after we confirm availability and price. Once you agree to that confirmation, you will be sent an invoice and will need to pay a 25% deposit within 7 days (unless otherwise specified) to secure the booking. If your requested room is not available, we will present alternative options.